- The trams are coming! The trams are coming!
- Demarccation Line, Descartes, South Touraine
- So, you think you know Descartes?
- 8 Faux-Pas French people should avoid in the British labour market
- Festival of Gardens at Chaumont~sur~Loire, 2013 – a sneek at what’s in store
- The three sequoia trees of the beautiful city of Loches, Touraine
- Spring Programme ‘Le Petit Theatre de Balcons’
- “A Pause in the Holocaust” ~ protection of jews during the Italian Occupation of SE France
- The WW2 Demarcation Line ~ Ligueil, South Touraine
- Forgotten Heroes – Channel Islander Resistance during WW2
- Amboise Angers Anjou Azay-le-Rideau Betz-le-Chateau Blois cable laying Catholic Church Chambord Chaumont-sur-Loire Chedigny Chenonceau Chinon Château Demarcation line Descartes dikes edf electrical cables Ferrière Larçon flint flooding floods four banal French architecture french electricity French Ministry of Culture French Postcards French railways French Resistance French Revolution French Traditions hemp Huguenot Indre Jeanne d'Arc Joan of Arc La Celle Guenand Langeais Le Chatelier Le Grand Pressigny Ligueil Loches Loire Loire nature Loire Valley Loire Valley History Louis XI Luynes Martin of Tours Montbazon Montresor Museum of Prehistory Museum of Prehistroire Neuilly le Brignon Orleans paganism Paulmy Plessis-les-Tours prehistory silex Touraine Touraine History Touraine map Tours troglodyte underground electricity Ussé vineyards Vouvray Wars of Religion werewolves Women's Fashion Women's History World War II
Author Archives: Jim McNeill
So, the first stage of the tram system has opened in Tours (August, 2014) and how gorgeous it looks; stylish, futuristic, silent and dreamy car-free sweeps of open roadways…..yes, I love them trams! Here are some pics Sandra and I … Continue reading
It seems that no matter how often you visit a place there’s always something new…something you’ve missed. Here’s the Demarcation Line marker at the very edge of the town, on the Avenue du Maréchal Leclerc.
So, the other day I walked around the centre of Descartes in the South Touraine….going up off-beat streets….and recording various images of interest. A prize of a bottle of wine to the person who can guess the location of each … Continue reading
8 Faux-Pas French people should avoid in the British labour market 1. “With my Master’s degree there’s no way I’m going to start at such a low position” 2. “It is out of the question for me to work at … Continue reading
Near neighbours of ours are the Garden Design Academy, Chabris (36210). Recently they had an opportunity to attend a preview of the magnificently innovative, annual International Garden Festival at Chaumont-sur-Loire. There are images and a great description on their blog, … Continue reading
No matter how often I visit the beautiful city of Loches, I still manage to spot something new and interesting. For example, recently, when walking though the city’s public park, I viewed….well, for once, I’ll be quiet….I think the images … Continue reading
Here’s the Spring Programme for the marvellous ‘Le Petit Theatre de Balcons’ at Férrier Larçon in the South Touraine. Do support this local venue…it’s a delight! Contact Patrice Arnould 02 47 59 10 97 or firstname.lastname@example.org … Continue reading
Further to the interest in my recent postings on the Demarcation Line in the Touraine I thought readers might be interested in this English version of the short, French-made documentary “A Pause in the Holocaust” on the Italian Occupation of … Continue reading
This map comes from the Resistance in the Touraine’s web site – further details here. Do view my previous blogs on the local Demarcation Line here and here. Double click on the map for a larger image.
Over the holiday period I was reading a book published in 1946 of the experience of Nazi occupation in the Channel Islands, ‘Jersey under the Nazi Jackboot’. I’ve also come across this University of Cambridge video dealing with resistance by … Continue reading