- …and yet more on old signage in France….
- Angie Palmer….Barrou…..next Friday
- Flooding in the Loire
- Breaking news….opening up the Vichy regime archives
- ….a little more on Marcel Marceau
- Marcel Marceau ~ une vie extraordinaire
- Liberation celebrations, Descartes, 1944
- The Touraine: host to the world’s first solar powered home…..in1864!
- Yet more on old french signs
- Gaston Monmousseau (1883-1960): trade unionist and political agitator of the Touraine.
- advertising signage Amboise Angers Arts Azay-le-Rideau Betz-le-Chateau Blois cable laying Catholic Church Chambord Chaumont-sur-Loire Chedigny Chenonceau Chinon Château Demarcation line Descartes dikes edf electrical cables Ferrière Larçon flint flooding floods four banal French architecture French Communist Party french electricity French Ministry of Culture French Postcards French railways French Resistance French Revolution French Traditions hemp Huguenot Indre Joan of Arc La Celle Guenand Langeais Le Chatelier Le Grand Pressigny Ligueil Loches Loire Loire nature Loire Valley Loire Valley History Louis XI Luynes Martin of Tours Montbazon Montresor Museum of Prehistory Museum of Prehistroire Neuilly le Brignon paganism Paulmy Plessis-les-Tours prehistory silex Touraine Touraine History Touraine map Tours troglodyte underground electricity Ussé vineyards Vouvray Wars of Religion werewolves Women's Fashion Women's History World War II
Category Archives: Maps
This map comes from the Resistance in the Touraine’s web site – further details here. Do view my previous blogs on the local Demarcation Line here and here. Double click on the map for a larger image. Advertisements
1590 map of France along with an extract showing the Touraine/Loire Valley Region. To see enlarged versions just right-click on either image and chose to ‘open link in new window’ or ‘open link in a new tab’. From the French … Continue reading
Here’s a site that I’ve only just discovered: The Map as History ~ animated and narrated maps (in English and French) for a better understanding of history. It claims to be: The largest on-line collection of animated historical maps For … Continue reading
The commune of Maillé in the Touraine is burned into the minds of many as the place of the Second World War massacre. But, of course, the small town and its surrounding district has more history than that single tragic … Continue reading
The images below, mostly vignettes based on paintings done during research for the book, come from the book The Castles and Chateaux of Old Touraine and the Loire Valley. This guide to the region is Francis Miltoun and was published … Continue reading
This 18th century map is of the town of Mosnes which lies on the River Loire, halfway between Tours and Blois. The map is another in the series from the digital collection of the French Ministry of Culture’s web site. … Continue reading
Below are maps (c1750-80) of the village of Port de Pile. It stands on the south bank of the River Creuse and about 10k north-west of Descartes, and surrounding communities just over the border in the Vienne department. The village … Continue reading