This is not exactly history related – except it may be a traditional way of adding scent to your seasonal candles:
1. Carefully soften the sides of your candle over the gentle flame of a lit candle (this is optional).
2. Use a sharp-pointed tool ~ a skewer for example ~ and draw a design on your candle.
3. Now mix your oils. Use olive oil as a base and then add your essential oil(s) e.g. Rosemary, Lemon Grass, Juniperberry, Sweet Orange, Frankincense, etc. The proportion is up to you ~ experiment!
4. Rub the oil onto the candle – from the bottom up. Don’t put it on the top of the candle or it will cause spluttering.
5. Now wash your hands.
6. Light your candle.
7. Let me know how you got on.
For a beautifully illustrated method (with magical asides) just click here.